Application Deadline: August 7, 2021
Objectives of the Program
African Railway Center of Excellence (ARCE) is one of the African Center of Excellence II projects supported by the World Bank. Through this support from the WB, the center aspires to become sustainable regional hub for training and research in Railway Engineering and Management, capable of leading efforts to address priority development challenges and improve lives in South and Eastern Africa. The aim of the center is to strengthen railway professionals’ development through short-term training, MSc and PhD level education, and research in Ethiopia and the region at large.
To this effect, ARCE is offering scholarships to citizens in African countries to pursue MSc studies in Railway Engineering specializing in “Civil Infrastructure”, “Rolling Stock” and “Traction and Train Control” for the 2021/22 academic year.
Applicants have to:-
- Have completed their last degree less than six years ago during the time of application
- Be Citizens of African countries
- For MSc applicants: Applicants should have Bachelor’s degree qualification with at least a CGPA of 3.00/4.00 for males and 2.5/4.00 for females (grading shall be converted to 4.00 scale or at the level of Upper Second Class Honours or above).
- The applicant should write a personal statement/motivation letter describing the candidate`s interest to join the program.
- The applicant should have two letters of recommendations of advisors/ supervisors from previous educational institutions.
- All regional applicants shall submit a certificate that states English language is a media of instruction in your previous degree issued university.
- All Ethiopian applicants should submit cost sharing certificate.
Female candidates and candidates from underprivileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
- For MSc in Railway Engineering (Civil Infrastructure)
Applications may come from engineering subject areas with strong relevance in Civil Engineering or potentially related fields with Railway Engineering.
- For MSc in Railway Engineering (Rolling Stock)
Applications may come from engineering subject areas with strong relevance in Mechanical Engineering including Mechanical Design, Industrial Engineering, and Thermal Engineering, Electro Mechanical Engineering or potentially related fields with Railway Engineering.
- For MSc in Railway Engineering (Traction and Train Control)
Applications may come from engineering subject areas with strong relevance in Electrical Engineering including Electronic Communication Engineering, Power Engineering, Industrial Control Engineering, Electrical & Computer Engineering, and Microelectronics Engineering, Electro Mechanical Engineering or potentially related fields with Railway Engineering.
Place of Study
Addis Ababa University (AAU), Addis Ababa Institute of Technology (AAiT), African Railway Center of Excellence (ARCE), Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Duration and Commencement
Study period for Masters Students is 2 years only. The scholarship will be initially granted for one semester and may be extended for those who completed the first semester successfully.
The applicants should submit their document in a single pdf file through the application form link. The application file name must be [applicantname_Field of Study.Pdf] for example jhon_Rollingstock.pdf and application only be complete if the following documents are submitted.
- apply using ARCE 2021/2022 Application form Click here To Apply
- Signed curriculum vitae scanned in PDF; please use the Euro pass CV template (http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu)
- Scanned copies of all university degree certificates
- Scanned copies of all university transcripts
- Letter of motivation (Maximum 2 pages)
- Academic reference from senior lecturer and proof of employment if applicable (scanned copy)
- English language certificate for regional applicants
- Cost sharing certificate – Ethiopian applicants
- All the documents listed above should be scanned in a single PDF document.
- Separately submitted documents will be considered incomplete.
- Type A. Full Scholarship only for regional Applicants: Covers monthly stipend (USD400 for MSc students), tuition fee, health insurance and transportation cost.
- Type B. Half Scholarship only for national competent Female Applicants: Covers monthly stipend USD200 for MSc) and tuition fee.
- Type C. Part Timer Scholarship: Covers tuition fee only.
- Type D. Self-Sponsored Students: Student should cover all the expenses. And have to be stated on application form.
- Authentication fee, Registration fee, Application fee, resident permit fee and local transportation should be covered by selected candidates.
- Stipend payment will be effective only after applicant has been admitted by Addis Ababa University.
Deadline of Application
7th of August 2021
Announcement for short listed candidates
25th of August 2021
National Students Interview and Written Exam
August 27-Sep 07 2021
Final selected student announcement
1st of October 2021
AAU Competency exam for all selected candidates
10th of October 2021
Registration at Addis Ababa University (for selected candidates) – applicants should fulfill additional requirements expected by university registrar which includes official transcripts and authenticated credentials
20th of October 2021
African Railway Center of Excellence
Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa Institute of Technology (AAiT)
Samsung Building first floor, N-135
Office hours: 8:30 am – 5:30 pm EAT Monday to Friday
Tel: +251 111 2612 94